When you know well in advance you plan on hosting a party or whatever, i's nice to take a half hour and layout a game plan, and then handle all of the details in an orderly fashion. (Now, mind you, I am one of those girls who procratinates, and keeps putting things off until next week...that is, until there is no next week, and then I jump into overdrive and get-er-done.)
There are plenty of awesome sites to help you layout an actual timeline for those kinds of entertaining events, so I'm just going to share a basic countdown list. Once you have decided youa re having a party...say it's going to be a birthday party, or a Superbowl shindig, or new year's eve celebration....here are my very, very, very basic bulleted points to pull off a fantastic soiree:
1. Pick the date, the time, the theme/
2. Design, create, or purchase your invitations. (This part of a party can really set the tone, and begin building anticipation for a great time to come!)
3.Plan the menu, including beverages (Signature drinks are always fun, whether it's a color theme, or little bottled coca colas) and make the grocery shopping list.(It's a good idea to figure out what you will wear at htis fabulous gather at this point in time as well.)
4. Make or buy the party decorations.
5. The week of the party, pick up groceries, and stage the food and beverage tables.
6. The day before, Have everything ready to go.(Decorations, food prep...)7. The day of.....prepare the last of the food and party set ups.
7. The day of... last minute preps, party set ups.
8. Two hours before....shower, get ready.
9. An hour before...last minute touch ups...have a nice cold beverage and get ready to have some fun!
All of this being said, I do still tend to wing it more than a little bit, and you most likely will find me up till after midnight the night before a party, tweaking and fiddling with decorations, or drosting cupcakes....and for me, that is part of the fun of entertaining.